You are here

Washington School teacher Melissa Sagat (right) poses for a photo with student Bella Tamez, 10. Sagat saved Bella’s life after Bella choked on a bottle cap, which Bella is holding. Photo submitted
Jason Addy, Contributing Editor
5:00 am CDT November 1, 2019

Washington School elementary teacher Melissa Sagat was standing outside her classroom, welcoming students back from lunch when the most terrifying moment of her career began reports The Beacon's sister paper, The Glenview Lantern.

Bella Tamez, 10, walked out of Sagat’s class “clutching her throat with a terrified look in her eyes,” and it was immediately clear she was choking on something, Sagat said.