You are here

Evanston firefighters battle a blaze at the Woman's Club of Wilmette, 930 Greenleaf Ave., around 11 a.m. Tuesday. Feb. 17.
Multiple area fire departments fight the fire, which reportedly was started by a space heater, but no official report has been made.
Wilmette Fire Chief Mike McGreal surveys the damage of the building at around 4 p.m. after the fire was under control.
The entryway and roof of the Woman's Club of Wilmette eventually collapsed amid fire and smoke.
Wilmette firefighters still work to completely extinguish the blaze late in the afternoon.
Ladder trucks at three strategic locations helped fight the blaze.
Firefighters tried to hold the flames off from below and above.
Flames pour from the roof of the building, where the fire reportedly began.
Hose water hits the entryway after the masonry collapsed.
A trio of Wilmette firefighters send water through a broken out window in the clubhouse.
Joe Coughlin, Editor
11:13 am CST February 17, 2015

A fire engulfed and burned through the historic Woman’s Club of Wilmette throughout the day Tuesday, Feb. 17. 

At 9:44 that morning, Wilmette Fire Department personnel responded to the blaze, which quickly destroyed the south end’s second floor and the apartment lived in by the club’s caretaker, Mark Loendorf, and his family. 

Loendorf was working on the first floor when he heard the smoke alarm and went upstairs to witness flames coming from a bedroom, where he said a space heater was running.