You are here
Fire officials in Wilmette and across the country are sending a warning about a dangerous viral video that shows sliding a penny behind a partially plugged-in phone charger.
According to a press release from the Village of Wilmette and the Wilmette Fire Department, this action, popularized on social media platforms like TikTok as the “penny challenge,” can result in a short in the electrical outlet which can immediately cause a fire in a home or school and severely injure anyone in close proximity.
There are already incidents of this dangerous activity being investigated across neighboring communities. The Wilmette Fire Department asks anyone that witnesses this behavior or sees evidence of a burnt outlet to contact 911 immediately. Officials also urge parents to talk to their kids about this dangerous penny challenge.